Cushendale Mills is one of only two remaining vertical mills left in Ireland, weaving from fleece to fabric.
Located in the town of Graignamanagh, Ireland, the mill was first built by Cistercian monks in 1204 when they established Duiske Abbey. The location was ideal, providing strong water to supply power, soft water for washing yarn, and fertile land for raising sheep. Today, Cushendale Mills still uses the same water supply channelled by the monks over 800 years ago. Six generations of the Cushen family have devoted themselves to the craft of textile manufacturing for over 200 years.
Using Irish Wool, Northern England Lambswool, and Italian spun Mohair, they have developed a selective collection of blankets with a soft hand, and custom dyed colourways. Cushendale Mills is an ethical supplier of 100% natural mohair and GOTS certified organic lambswool fibres.